Young people are faced with a complex set of demands when preparing for their future careers. South Hunsley aims to ensure that students are self-confident, skilled and career-ready. This is achieved through a comprehensive programme of activities that spans Year 7 through Year 13, and beyond, and is based on the nationally recognised Gatsby Benchmarks.
The Careers Team
START and U-Explore
As part of our commitment to prepare students for a rapidly changing world, we are delighted to announce that we are using an innovative online resource called Start.
Start will help your child to connect with their future career potential, develop their employability and help them to explore future career and study options at school or at home.
Parents can also use Start to find out more about jobs, training and study opportunities for themselves.
Full details of how to register can be found here.
Parent Support with Careers
As part of our careers programme, all students are provided with a START Profile. Parents and carers are encouraged to spend some time on START with our students, looking at their profile and discussing possible career options.
Beyond this, are a number of ways you can support young people in their early career investigations:
- Encourage your son or daughter to consider which of their subjects they enjoy the most, and how this might link to future careers.
- Encourage them to explore the different options available at 14, 16 and 18.
- Help dispel common misconceptions: that certain jobs are for men or women, that apprenticeships are only for practical vocations like engineering and that students need to wait until they start looking for work before they gain experience of the wider world of work.
- Help them explore the jobs and training opportunities that are available locally, either through START or through the ‘Find an apprenticeship’ section of the government website.
- Encourage your son or daughter to use local Labour Market Information to support their career choices. You will find a link to the LMI Humber website below.
Information for Employers
We are always interested in making new links. If you feel your organisation can support students in planning their future careers, please contact Barry.Gray@southhunsley.org.uk
Useful Links for Students
Useful Links for Parents
Secondary Careers Education Programme
A summary of our Secondary Careers Education Programme offered to all students in all year groups is outlined below. This programme is supported by assemblies, registration activities, class-based exercises and a range of other scheduled and occasional activities all designed to ensure students are best prepared for their futures.
If you think you could contribute to our Careers programme, would like to be a part of the Employer Led programme, or are interested in joining our Alumni register please contact Mr B Gray.